05 December 2008

La República Bananera de Canadá

Stephen Harper is a jerk-faced pig dog!

But tell me something I didn't already know...

How can he, in all honesty and with a straight face, say it is undemocratic for representatives of 62% of the population to form the country's government? –Seems pretty democratic to me. Then, when things look like they're not going his way, he has the Governor-General shut down Parliament. Uh, hello, what could be less democratic?!

Now that Harper has shut Parliament, what's next? Burning it down à la Nazi Reichstag? Honestly!

I thought I liked Michaëlle Jean. I thought she was the kind of person who would be bold enough to do something visionary and actually make this country a better place, run by MPs with the support of two-thirds of the population. I guess not. It's very unsettling to me that I haven't seen any newssource comment on her justifications for being a kowtow lackey to our new Toad King despot, Stephen Harper. I can only assume the worst.

Your Excellency, The Right Honourable Michaëlle Jean, you are oh-so-clearly Dead to Me!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

exactement!

Anonymous said...

Hear hear!

Anonymous said...

And how.

Anonymous said...

Listen. I hate Stephen Harper as much as the next fag, but I think the GG was leery of setting precedent. She's a ribbon cutter and has to have a damn good reason to reject a direct request from the head of government. From what I understand, Michaelle Jean hates Harper, too. And I'm sure the decision to help stop Canadian parliament when Canadians need it most brings her no joy. Whatchyagonnado? Ask the Queen next time.

Anonymous said...

im curious if anyone knows, are they being fully paid during this period...cause i could really use the money seeing as i lost my job ;)

jolie

Anonymous said...

The office of the GG is ridiculous, which is why we shouldn't be surprised by this. She's the lapdog of the devil. Frankly I never liked her. Dead to me!!!

Tokyo Tintin said...

Precedent-schmecedent! Other countries have coalition governments all the time. —The way this was being played up, you'd think the sky was falling! A coalition government can actually be positive since it tempers the more extreme elements of the parties involved.

While generally the Governor General's role is ceremonial, the exact reason we have one is to deal with situations like this. If she didn't want to get involved, then she should have done nothing. The opposition parties would have voted against the budget, the government would fall and we'd have another election. Sure, we just had one, but no one ever said that democracy was perfect.

If she felt that action need to be taken, I am at a complete lack to understand why she felt that shutting down our democratic system was the right thing to do. If a group of MPs, who represent both a majority in the House of Commons and a majority of the popular vote, get together and say they no longer have confidence in the ruling party of losers and want to form a new government, I don't see how she could have said no.

Tokyo Tintin said...

While I'm at it, I'm taking John Tory off my Dead To Me list, because, his party not having won the provincial election, he's become irrelevant.

Also off the list is Gilles Duceppe. He gets total props for supporting the Liberal-NDP coalition! (He's my first rehabilitated Dead-To-Me-er; congrats!)

djörk said...

Canada has got so sexy lately!

Miss Ash said...

Such bullshit!

Anonymous said...

Yeah, but it was your birthplace that was yelling the loudest cries of separation TT, if the coalition took over. Their main point was that this is a Alberta/west(read con) friendly government so the Libs and others back east want to kill it. Its funny how western neo-cons have always hid behind regionalism.