24 October 2006

Tan-tastic!

In preparation for my trip to Africa, I’ve been going to the tanning salon to get a bit of a tan so that I don’t burn to a crisp as soon as I step off the plane onto the sizzling tarmac of Accra’s airport.

Now before everyone throws up their arms in a fit of protestations, I’m well aware of the melanoma implications of suntans, and am feeling considerable guilt for doing something which is so clearly bad for you. The simple fact of the matter however, is that tan people are damn sexy!

I would love to be able to keep up the tanning once I get back from my trip, but unfortunately am going to lapse back into wintery pale pastiness because of stupid UV radiation. Why is it that every fun and good is bad for you? Just once I’d like to hear a report saying that fried chicken cures cancer.

Am I going to hell for even considering keeping up the tan once I get back?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

tan schman. it will give you wrinkles and that's really the number one reason not to do it. we don't want to look old before our time, do we sweetie....

Anonymous said...

I am SO Team Tan! It's been scientifically proven that some definite colour ups one's Hotness Quotient anywhere from a half point up to a full point and a half!! sweetie you really do owe it to yourself (and to those that you will potentially be shagging.) If you're going to listen to the naysayers then I think it's acceptable to settle for a Mystic. Just.

Anonymous said...

jase darling, while i am loathe to disagree with you, having a deep respect for your general fabulousness, you have to admit that having skin like a leather gucci bag at age 35 will lower your hotness quotient faster than white socks and a fanny pack.

Tokyo Tintin said...

I think we need to differentiate between bad tan (think donnatella versace) and good tan (people in the summertime).

I read a thing that mild tanning can be beneficial during the wintertime when a lack of exposure to the sun creates difficulty for your body to metabolise enough vitamin D which leads to, among other things, Seasonal Affective Disorder.

Since S.A.D. is a big part of the reason that I hate canadian winter so much, it might definately be worth considering —soley for the mental health benefits of course.

Jennifer said...

Well, you don't smoke, so you're not aging as fast as most of your friends. I think you can afford to accelerate the aging process and be a little more bronzed. Besides, if you were a little less cranky about winter, I think we'd all find that more attractive.

Tokyo Tintin said...

exactly jenni! i'm only getting tan for the benefit of my friends. very selfless of me really, to risk wrinkled skin in order to spare you all my winter snarkyness.

Tokyo Tintin said...

you'll all be happy to know that going to the tanning salon served me well on this vacation - i was the only one who didn't get burnt. (ashley spent a large chunk of time doing her impression of a lobster).